How the Estimize Consensus Nailed the Facebook Revenue Print
- Posted by Leigh Drogen
- on April 23rd, 2012
The Estimize community of analysts, traders, corporate finance professionals and financial peanut gallery people continues to amaze me more and more every day. Our whole crowdsourcing experiment does as well.
But what happened today just takes the cake. Facebook filed its amended S-1 with full accounting for FQ1 2012. In the updated filing, Facebook reports 1.058B in revenue and EPS of 9 cents.
A little more than a month ago we put Facebook up on Estimize, our first private company listing. We had no clue what would happen as there hasn’t been and still isn’t any type of baseline estimate from the sell side. The Estimize community of buy side and independent analysts was all on its own, with no spread to game or baseline scenario to use.
Because of how the site works, we needed to give a Wall Street estimate, so we made one up. We projected 25% YOY revenue and EPS growth. But as the last month went on, we saw the Estimize numbers diverging greatly from this.
And guess what happened. With no guidance what so ever, from the company or the sell side, the Estimize consensus nailed the revenue number, coming in at 1.07B. There were 14 estimates with quite a wide range of opinions, but average together the result was amazing.
Click through the image to see the results.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see the Disclaimer page for a full disclaimer.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Leigh Drogen is the founder and chief investment officer of Surfview Capital, LLC, a New York based investment management firm employing an intermediate term long/short momentum strategy. More »
- My 10 Stocks and Big Trends for 2014
- Please Just Stop Building These Apps
- Finance People Don’t Have Pseudonyms, and Other Musings On Identity In Social Finance
- Estimize Named 1 of Forbes 9 Hottest Startups of 2013
- Here’s How We Posted a 77.4% Gain With 2013 Picks and Trends
- Why You Are Completely Wrong About Forward Guidance Being More Important Than Results
- Estimize Featured In CNN Money’s Top 15 Financial Apps
- Why I Owe Mark Zuckerberg An Apology
- SunTrust Joins The Estimize Platform, All 299 Other Sell Side Firms to Follow
- The Real Problem With SigFig’s $10/Month Portfolio For Everyone
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011